Updated: Sep 14, 2020
In this post you will learn how to download and install SQL Server 2014 from an ISO image. I will also download AdventureWorks sample database and load into our SQL server 2014.
Downloading ISO image
1. You can download the SQL Server from this link. But in case link changes, you can Google - "download SQL server enterprise evaluation" and it will show you the results as below.
2. Open the link highlighted above and you will find all the latest SQL Servers available. I am installing SQL Server 2014 for this post. As its old version, it is very stable.
3. Click on the little plus sign and select iso image to download.
4. Fill out these details and hit continue.
5. Select your platform based on your system properties whether it's 32 bit or 64 bit (Go to your control panel and look for system properties).
Download will take approximately 10 minutes based on your network. Its ~3 GB ISO file. Make sure you have enough space on your computer to perform this installation.
Run ISO image
1. Once download is complete, double click on the ISO file and it will automatically mount on your drive as shown below. If it doesn't mount automatically you can use winrar to unzip the ISO file.
2. Open the drive to run the setup.
SQL Server 2014 Installation
1. Setup will take some time (approx. a minute) to open. You will get this screen.
2. Go to Installation tab as shown above and click on New SQL Server stand alone installation.
3. Click next, you can select check for updates or leave it as default.
4. This step will take some time (approx. 5 mins) where it will install setup files.
5. Finally, you will get this screen. Click Next.
6. I have SQL Server Express edition running on my machine so we are seeing this option. We will just continue with new installation default option.
7. Keep this edition as Evaluation and hit Next.
8. Check box to accept license terms and hit Next.
9. Select SQL Server Feature Installation and hit Next.
10. Select all the features and hit Next as shown below.
11. Enter the name of instance, I have named it as "SQL2014" and hit Next.
12. Leave it as default and hit Next as shown below.
13. Just leave the default as windows authentication for simplicity and add current user. Windows will automatically add current user when you click the Add current user button. Hit Next.
Leave data directories and file stream as default for simplicity. Usually in production environment we choose different drives for logs and data (like in case server crashes).
14. Leave analysis services mode as default and add current user. Hit Next.
15. Leave the default options as shown below.
16. Click add current user and hit Next.
17. Give Controller Name, I have named it "Dataneb" and hit Next.
18. Hit Install button.
19. Installation will take some time (took 1 hour for me). So sit back and relax.