top of page

B1 B2 Visa Extension, Reasons, Sample Letter & Processing Time

Updated: Sep 13

B1/B2 Visitor Visa Extension Reasons: The B1/B2 visitor visa allows you to stay in the US for typically up to six months (sometimes less). However, there may be circumstances where you need to extend your B2 visitor visa to stay beyond 6 or 12 months.

Table of Contents: B2 Visitor Visa Extension

In this post, I will explain the process of extending your B1/B2 visitor visa, including the number of times you can extend it, common reasons for extension, the possibility of extending a visitor visa beyond 6 months, the average processing time for extensions, and key considerations for a successful extension.

Related: How to apply for a B2 visa

B2 Visa Extension

The first question that might arise in your mind is how many times a B2 visa can be extended, or if it's even possible to do so. The answer is there is no specific limit on the number of times you can extend your B1/B2 visa. However, it is essential to note that each extension request is evaluated individually, and you must provide a valid reason for needing an extension.

Irrespective of the fact of how many times you request an extension, personally, I have not seen any B2 visa going beyond the stay of 12 months. That being said it's not impossible to extend beyond 12 months but you would need a solid reason for that.

Visitor Visa Extension Reasons

Typical reasons for extending B2 visa status include medical treatment, some family events or functions, the continuation of tourism, natural disasters like COVID-19, etc. Common B2 visa extension reasons include:

  • Medical treatment: If you require ongoing medical treatment that cannot be completed within the initially approved stay then you can request for B2 visa extension. You would need a letter from the doctor as a supporting document for form I-539 to make your case stronger. Don't worry about form I-539, it is used for requesting a B2 visa extension which I will explain shortly.

  • Family events: If there are important family events or celebrations, such as weddings or graduations, that require your presence, you can also request a B2 visa extension. Sharing the date and venue of the event will strengthen your case, and having an invitation card as proof is even better.

  • Tourism: If you were unable to explore all the intended attractions due to unforeseen circumstances, you can request a B2 visa extension. In the case of requesting an extension for your parents' B2 visa, you can mention their limited physical mobility, which resulted in a longer stay than initially anticipated. Supporting documents, such as your travel itinerary, bookings, and air tickets, should be included with your request.

  • Unexpected events: If you experience unexpected delays or disruptions in your travel plans, such as a natural disaster or flight cancellations, you can request a B2 visa extension. This also applies to situations like COVID.

B2 Visa Extension Sample Letter

[Your Name]

[Your Address]

[City, State, ZIP]

[Email Address]

[Phone Number]


[USCIS Service Center Address]

[City, State, ZIP]

Subject: Request for B2 Visa Extension for Medical Treatment

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am writing to respectfully request an extension of my B2 visa to receive ongoing medical treatment in the United States. I am currently in the United States on a valid B2 visa, which is set to expire on [visa expiration date].

I have been undergoing medical treatment for a serious health condition at [name of medical facility] under the care of [name of attending physician]. The treatment plan, as recommended by my healthcare provider, requires an extended duration beyond my original authorized stay.

I kindly request your favorable consideration of my application for a B2 visa extension. I am attaching the following supporting documents:

1. Detailed medical reports and documentation outlining the nature of my medical condition and the necessity for continued treatment.

2. A letter from my attending physician, [physician's name], explaining the need for ongoing medical care and the anticipated duration of treatment.

3. Financial records demonstrating my ability to cover the cost of the extended stay, including medical expenses, accommodation, and other necessary expenses.

4. Copy of my valid passport, Form I-94 (Arrival/Departure Record), and current B2 visa.

5. Any additional supporting documents as deemed necessary.

I assure you that I will strictly adhere to the laws and regulations governing my stay in the United States. I understand that the purpose of my visit is solely for medical treatment, and I will not engage in any unauthorized activities during my extended stay.

I kindly request your prompt attention to this matter as my medical treatment is time-sensitive. If there are any further documents or information required, please do not hesitate to contact me at [your contact number] or [your email address].

Thank you for considering my request. Your understanding and assistance in this matter would be greatly appreciated.


[Your Name]

B2 Visa Extension Sample Letter for Parents

[Your Name]

[Your Address]

[City, State, ZIP Code]



[USCIS Address]

[City, State, ZIP Code]

Dear Sir/Madam,

Subject: B2 Visa Extension Request for Tourism

I am writing to request an extension of my parent's B2 visitor visas, set to expire on [Visa Expiry Date], due to unforeseen circumstances.

During their stay, my parents experienced limited physical mobility because of their age and existing health conditions. This has resulted in a slower pace of travel, making it challenging to cover all the attractions they initially intended to visit within the original visa validity period.

I kindly request an extension of their B2 visas for an additional [Number of Months] months, allowing them more time to complete their travel plans and spend quality time with family and friends.

Supporting documents, including copies of their B2 visas, a detailed travel itinerary, and proof of financial ability, are enclosed for your reference.

We appreciate your consideration of this request and hope for a positive response. If you require further information, please contact me at [Your Phone Number] or [Your Email Address].

Thank you for your attention to this matter.


[Your Name]

[Your Signature]

B2 Visa Extension Beyond 12 Months

Extending a B2 visa beyond 12 months can be challenging. The United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) generally expects visitors to adhere to the initially approved duration of stay, which is typically up to six months.

Extending beyond a year requires exceptionally compelling circumstances and strong supporting documentation. If you have a serious health condition and can provide sufficient evidence, you may consider applying for an extension.

Related: B2 visa length of stay

B1/B2 Visa Extension Processing Time

The processing time for B1/B2 visitor visa extensions can vary depending upon which service center your application is processed. On average, it can take like 8 to 24 months for USCIS to review and make a decision on your B2 visa extension application.

As long as you have filed the extension before your permitted stay expires you don't need to worry about processing time. If your application is denied you will get sufficient time to leave the country. You can check USCIS processing times here.

B1 B2 visa extension

It is crucial to plan and submit your extension request at least 45 days before your authorized stay expiration date to allow sufficient processing time.

How to Extend a B1/B2 Visitor Visa in the USA

To extend your B1/B2 visitor visa, you will need to file Form I-539, Application to Extend/Change Nonimmigrant Status. Here is a step-by-step guide to the process:

  • Complete Form I-539 Online: Provide accurate information about yourself, your current status, and the reasons for the visa extension.

  • Pay the required fee: Include the appropriate fee of $370 with your I-539 application. Refer to the USCIS website for the most up-to-date fee information.

  • Gather supporting documents: Compile the necessary supporting documents, such as your valid passport, Form I-94, financial records, flight itinerary, and purpose of extension supporting documentation.

  • Submit your application: Mail the completed Form I-539, supporting documents, and fee to the appropriate USCIS Service Center. You can find the address here.

Successful Visitor Visa Extension

To increase the likelihood of a successful B1/B2 visa extension, consider the following:

  • Valid reasons: Clearly articulate your valid reasons for needing an extension, providing detailed information about your circumstances and how the extension aligns with the purpose of your visit.

  • Supporting documentation: Include all required supporting documents, such as medical records, wedding invitations, business contracts, or event tickets, to substantiate your extension request.

  • Timely submission: Submit your extension application well in advance (45 days) of your authorized stay expiration date to allow sufficient processing time.

  • Legal advice: Consider seeking legal advice from an immigration attorney or consulting the official USCIS website for the most accurate and up-to-date information regarding B1/B2 visa extensions.


Extending your B1/B2 visa beyond the initially approved duration is possible under specific circumstances, provided you have valid reasons and can provide supporting documentation. Remember to submit your application well in advance, as processing times can be lengthy.

By following the guidelines outlined in this blog post, you can navigate the B1/B2 visa extension process more confidently and increase your chances of securing an extended stay in the United States for tourism, business, medical treatment, family events, or other valid reasons.

Note: For the most accurate and up-to-date information regarding B1/B2 visa extensions, always refer to the official USCIS website or consult with an immigration attorney.

Next: Continue reading

Related Posts

✔ Go to Main Menu

Urgent humanitarian reason expedite request

How to apply for a minor's passport

Related Topics

Interested in sharing your story?

Disclaimer: Please note that the information provided on this website is for general informational purposes only and should not be taken as legal advice. Dataneb is a platform for individuals to share their personal experiences with visa and immigration processes, and their views and opinions may not necessarily reflect those of the website owners or administrators. While we strive to keep the information up-to-date and accurate, we make no representations or warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability, suitability, or availability with respect to the website or the information, products, services, or related graphics contained on the website for any purpose. Any reliance you place on such information is therefore strictly at your own risk. We strongly advise that you consult with a qualified immigration attorney or official government agencies for any specific questions or concerns related to your individual situation. We are not responsible for any losses, damages, or legal disputes arising from the use of information provided on this website. By using this website, you acknowledge and agree to the above disclaimer and Google's Terms of Use ( and Privacy Policy (


bottom of page