top of page

How to Update or Change Address for J1 Waiver (at Stage 3)

Updated: Aug 5

J1 waiver change of address, If your address has changed while you are at stage 3 of the J1 waiver process, you can follow these steps to update your address. The specific steps you should take depend on when your address changes. Here's a breakdown of the address change process.

# Address Changed After Receiving a Favorable Recommendation

If your address has changed after receiving a favorable recommendation from the Department of State, you will need to update your address with the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) since your case has been transferred to USCIS. You will have to wait to receive the receipt number from USCIS and then only you will be able to update your address with them.

Related: How to file a tourist visa for parents

If you have moved to a new address before receiving your receipt number, you can update your address online with USPS and, set an email alert (called USPS informed delivery) to see what mail you are receiving.

Here's what you can do

  1. Visit the USCIS website and navigate to the Change of Address page.

  2. Follow the instructions provided to update your address online or you can fill out the AR-11 form, just follow the steps on the website.

  3. Make sure to provide accurate and up-to-date information to ensure that you receive any future correspondence regarding your J1 waiver application.

# Address Changed Before Receiving a Favorable Recommendation

If your address changed before receiving a favorable recommendation from the Department of State, you will need to update your address with the Department of State. Here are the steps to follow:

Visit the Department of State's J-1 Visa Waiver website. At the bottom of the page, click on Inform the department of the state of your change of personal data (2nd last option).

This will take you to Privacy Act Notices: Click on I accept. The next page will be about how to use the website: Click on Next. Then it will ask you about the exchange visitor details. Fill in all the information and follow the steps.

Related: How to renew your passport in the USA
J1  Waiver Change of Address

It's crucial to keep your address updated throughout the J1 waiver process to ensure you receive important notifications and correspondence related to your application.

By promptly updating your address, you can help ensure smooth and efficient processing of your J1 waiver. Again this blog is only to help people, it's not a piece of legal advice from a lawyer. Hope it helps the readers.

Next: How to expedite a J1 Waiver

Related Posts

J1 visa to H1B

J1 visa to Green Card

How to apply for J2 EAD

Related Topics

Interested in sharing your story?

Disclaimer: Please note that the information provided on this website is for general informational purposes only and should not be taken as legal advice. Dataneb is a platform for individuals to share their personal experiences with visa and immigration processes, and their views and opinions may not necessarily reflect those of the website owners or administrators. While we strive to keep the information up-to-date and accurate, we make no representations or warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability, suitability, or availability with respect to the website or the information, products, services, or related graphics contained on the website for any purpose. Any reliance you place on such information is therefore strictly at your own risk. We strongly advise that you consult with a qualified immigration attorney or official government agencies for any specific questions or concerns related to your individual situation. We are not responsible for any losses, damages, or legal disputes arising from the use of information provided on this website. By using this website, you acknowledge and agree to the above disclaimer and Google's Terms of Use ( and Privacy Policy (


bottom of page