Updated: Apr 14
After receiving clearance form all the three (or two) office as mentioned in stage 2, the applicant needs to complete an online application for DS3035 with Department of State.
Please see the link and site will guide you through the information needed.
After you finish online application for DS3035, a case number will be generated at the end along with a PDF package (the PDF will consists of two sets).
Now, applicant need to make two separate packages:
1. Set one generated with the DS3035 package along with supporting documents (mentioned below).
2. Statement of reason (page generated with DS3035 package).
3. Passport copy of exchange visitors (first and last page).
4. Visa and latest I-94 copy.
5. Copies of all DS2019 issued.
6. Two self addressed stamped envelop.
7. Cashier's check of $120 (will be mentioned on the DS3035 PDF package).
8. Current address proof like copy of driving license, state ID etc.
9. Cover letter: It's totally optional. Applicant can briefly write a cover letter mentioning the case number, purpose of sending and list of documents included.
Send the Packet to following address:
Department of State J-1Waiver
P.O. Box 979037
St. Louis, MO 63197-9000
Department of State J-1 Waiver
P.O. Box 979037
1005 Convention Plaza
St. Louis, MO 63101-1200
1. Set 2; i.e. third copy barcode page
2. copies of all NOC
3. Cashier check or money order of $25 + S2 (for using miscellaneous service). You can make for the total amount or separate.
4. One self addressed envelop; to receive the notice that your clearance is sent to the embassy.
5. Copies of passport front and back page, I-94, visa, driving license ( proof of my current address) and the cover letter received during stage 1. It was not mention for CGI-SF but I have included it with my package.
6. Biodata & affidavit from stage 1: However, I don't think that it is mandatory and I have not included it with the package but incase if applicant want they can include it.
7. Cover letter: It's totally optional. Applicant can briefly write a cover letter mentioning case number, the purpose of sending and list of documents included.
Send the package to your respective consulate, it my case it was CGI-SF.
Consulate General Of India 540 Arguello Blvd,
San Francisco, CA 94118
Please write case number on the packages.
Note: Please ensure to check your respective consulate pages for Stage 3 documents since it varies between all the consulates.
What will happen next after applicant has posted both the packages:
1. The applicant will receive a copy recommendation of waiver addressed to Indian embassy in Washington (only if you have provided a self addressed stamped envelop), along with a copy of Third copy barcode page. The Indian embassy, Washington will forward your No objection statement to the waiver review division. According to my experience, you will also receive a copy of NOS (no objection statement) from CGI Washington DC.
2. After this you can check your status on DOS website using your case number. Your case number will become active and it will show up online. However, it might take 1 month or more for a case number to become active after the DOS has received documents.
3. The status mostly shows pending the review process starts when following documents are received (see below). It will appear online step by step on what documents they have received so please wait patiently.
a. No objection from Indian embassy
c. DS3035 Form
d. Copies of DS2019
e. Statement of reason
f. Passport data pages
4. It will take up to 2-6 months and the status will then change to favorable recommendation, unless there is any denial to grant you waiver.
5. Once a recommendation has been made, your case will be electronically forwarded to U.S. Citizenship & Immigration Services (USCIS) Vermont Service Center (VSC) where your J-1 waiver eligibility will be determined.
6. Probably in 14-20 days you will receive I-797 notice of action from USCIS, which will also contain your receipt number and you can check your case status online using that receipt number.
7. Mostly after this within a week or two your case will be approved and form I-612 (waiver) will be sent out to the applicant by USCIS. It might take up to 2 weeks to receive the I-612 waiver.
Congratulation!! You have received your waiver. Hurdle crossed :)
I hope this blog will be helpful for people going through the painful waiver process.
Please drop me message in the the comment section if you have any queries. I will get back to you ASAP.