top of page


How long can I stay after my J1 visa expires?

Updated: Apr 22

A J1 visa holder can stay in the US for a maximum stay of 5 years as long as they maintain a valid DS-2019. If your visa and DS-2019 have already expired, the J1 visa grace period is 30 days to leave the US.

Many of us wonder how we can extend our stay beyond 5 years to continue our work in the US or for any other reason. In this article, I'm sharing my personal experience and observations from people I've known.

  • In most cases, the J1 visa holders are subjected to a 2-year home residency rule, often referred to as the 212(e) rule. If you have the 2-year home residency requirement, it won't stop you from coming back to the US as a student (F-1 student visa) or tourist (B1/B2 visa) in the future.

  • However, it will stop you from getting a work visa (H-1B) or becoming a permanent resident (green card), unless you fulfill the 2-year home residency requirement or get a waiver.

  • Also, those with J status who are subject to 212(e) two-year home country physical requirement may not change status from J1 to F1 or B1/B2 visa within the US unless a waiver has been granted.

Here is what USCIS mentions about changing your nonimmigrant status.

J1 change of status

Table of Contents: How to Stay in the US After J1 Visa Expires

Please note that I am not a lawyer, and I'm providing this information to offer assistance based on my experiences. I'd be happy to answer any questions you have in the comments section below.

If someone wants to stay beyond 5 years after their J1 visa expires the first thing they should do is to obtain a J1 visa waiver from the Department of Homeland Security. One has to start applying for a waiver before their 5-year period ends on a J1 visa. Obtaining a J-1 waiver is a lengthy process, so it's crucial to start the waiver process on time.

How long can I stay after the J1 visa expires?

If someone is unable to obtain the waiver before their five-year period expires on a J1 visa, they must leave the US and return to their home country, where they are required to spend two years to fulfill the home residency 212(e) requirement.

Alternatively, they can apply for a J1 waiver from their home country if they don't wish to wait for two years. However, if you have already obtained a J1 waiver, you are eligible to apply for a change of status to other types of visas.

How to stay in the U.S. after a J1 visa expires?

Firstly, by obtaining a J1 waiver, you become eligible to apply for other visa types like H1B, L1, O1, Green Card, etc. Discuss with your employer before your J1 visa expires to ensure that they initiate the process of filing for your new visa (I-539 or change of status) before the J1 visa's expiry.

J1 to H1B Visa

To convert from a J1 visa to an H1B visa, if you are working at a university or institute as a postdoc, you can consult with your professor and the international office to determine if they are willing to sponsor you for a new visa.

Typically, they can provide support for an academic H1B and can initiate the filing process six months before your J1 visa expires. Remember that either you need a waiver or you have to fulfill a 2-year home residency to convert from a J1 to an H1B visa.

The good thing about the academic H1B is that it's not part of the regular H1B lottery and can be filed at any time during the year. It's crucial to stay on top of everything because falling out of status can result in an illegal stay in the US, which could impact your future visa or green card applications.

H1B can be filed through premium processing, which means you should receive a response from USCIS within 15 calendar days. It's essential to discuss all of this with your employer. Similarly, if someone is willing to sponsor you for an O1 visa, it's advisable to plan well in advance. You can read about J1 to H1B in detail in the following blog.

J1 to Green Card

Secondly, a J1 visa holder can apply for a green card (EB1a or EB1b) within the 5-year timeframe of a J1 visa. This was my journey as well. I began my J1 waiver process when I entered my third year on the J1 visa, and it took nearly a year to obtain the J1 waiver.

Simultaneously, I initiated my green card application, and by the end of my fifth year on a J1 visa, I had received my green card. You can read about my green card journey here.

I understand that obtaining a green card while on a J1 visa can be challenging and may not be feasible for everyone. Therefore, it's important to maintain any type of legal visa status while your green card application is pending with USCIS.

In my case, I pursued the EB1a green card application. However, if your employer is willing to file for the EB1b category, it could save you a significant amount of money and potentially increase your chances of approval.

This is because you would have your employer's support for your case. I highly recommend discussing the possibility of EB1b with your boss, manager, or employer. You can read about EB1a vs EB1b in detail in the following blog.

Related: EB1a vs EB1b

J1 to B1/B2 Visa

Lastly, if you can't find a sponsor in time, already obtained a waiver, and are still looking for a job when your 30-day J1 visa grace period is ending, you can talk to a lawyer (or do it yourself) and apply for a B1/B2 visa. You can refer to the following blog for a change of status to B2.

This way, you can stay in the U.S. legally while you continue your job search. When you get a job offer, your future employer can start the process for an H1B or another type of visa. But be aware that this option has a drawback, as it may require you to spend all your savings on living expenses.

J1 to F1 Visa

You can also change your status to an F1 visa. However, if you're on a J-1 visa and have to fulfill the two-year home country requirement, you can't change your status from J-1 to F-1 or B-1/B-2 within the U.S. You have to leave the country and apply for F1 or B1/B2 tourist visa from outside to re-enter the US.

Thank you! Please feel free to comment if you have any questions, and I will do my best to assist you.

Related Posts

✔ Go to Main Menu

Related Topics


Want to share your thoughts about this blog?

Disclaimer: Please note that the information provided on this website is for general informational purposes only and should not be taken as legal advice. Dataneb is a platform for individuals to share their personal experiences with visa and immigration processes, and their views and opinions may not necessarily reflect those of the website owners or administrators. While we strive to keep the information up-to-date and accurate, we make no representations or warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability, suitability, or availability with respect to the website or the information, products, services, or related graphics contained on the website for any purpose. Any reliance you place on such information is therefore strictly at your own risk. We strongly advise that you consult with a qualified immigration attorney or official government agencies for any specific questions or concerns related to your individual situation. We are not responsible for any losses, damages, or legal disputes arising from the use of information provided on this website. By using this website, you acknowledge and agree to the above disclaimer and Google's Terms of Use ( and Privacy Policy (

bottom of page